It is time to separate the truth from the fiction about search engine optimisation, says Jacqui Wilkins, of digital brand specialist Visual Identity.
HERE are some facts:
70% of links that users click on are organic
70-80% of users ignore paid advertising
75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results
IT IS clear from the above that the higher your website ranks within its chosen keywords, the more traffic it will receive. So it is no wonder that so many companies offer SEO services.
But is it really so easy? Just wave a magic wand and you are there, position no.1? Can you really get top of the search engine rankings… and for free?
Let me dispel six of the industry’s biggest myths:
1. Best Search Engine Optimisation can be free. False. Effective long-term SEO and first page results takes time, planning and patience.
2. Just add meta tags and lots of keywords. False. Meta tags were once considered all important, but are now virtually ignored by search engines. Repeating keywords sounds like a clever trick, but search engines can detect and penalise rankings.
3. Guaranteed ‘millions’ of hits. False. Hits are the least reliable indicator of your site’s performance. You should be tracking visitor sessions, referral rates and conversions.
4. Guaranteed no.1 position in Google. False. Rankings cannot be guaranteed. Algorithm changes can cause fluctuation in your sites position.
5. Once on top, rank and position cannot be lost. False. As before, ranking systems can change, therefore, positions can be lost at any time. Competitors may overhaul their optimisation to gain your prized position.
6. Our site has been fully optimised. It’s all done. False. It’s important to continually maintain and update your site’s optimisation because of the ever changing nature of search engines.
Companies that promise no.1 rankings often achieve this by using unethical tactics, risking
your site being penalised. Others will try to confuse and say things like ‘It’s complicated’, preferring to use smoke and mirrors rather than sharing their methods.
A good SEO service will focus on a number of keyword phrases which most appeal to your target audience and match your business development plans. Most provide monthly reports on the position of your website for all keywords and some offer an online seo management tool for complete transparency.
When well planned, a SEO strategy will improve your website search rankings by being found, visited and indexed in the most effective way. Increasing your visibility, traffic and profitability is one of the most pivotal factors for a successful business in the current market.
A good SEO strategy can bring in business. True.
Vi offers a number of SEO services including our online SEO management tool. To find out more call 01908 665537.
Published in association with www.businessmk.co.uk Insight – 14 March 2013